I baked after such a long time on Valentine's Day to surprise my dear husband when he came home for lunch. Every year on Valentine's day I bake something with heart shape to mark the essence of the day. During first year of my blog, it was the heart-shaped NY Style Cheesecake, last year it was the Red Velvet Cake and this year Strawberry Cupcakes with lacy chocolate hearts. I had seen this recipe on Martha Stewart's site and was thinking of baking it for long. Valentine's day seemed like the perfect occasion. I iced the cupcakes with fluffy whipped cream with some fresh strawberry puree in it. It tasted awesome.
Here is the recipe (Click here for printable version)
- 2/3 cup whole fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. Set aside about 2 tbsp of puree for frosting and keep 1/3 cup aside for baking cupcakes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended alternating with milk mixture. Start and finish with flour mixture until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 20-23 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp strawberry puree
Keep the bowl of your electric mixer and whisker attachment in freezer for 5 min before using. Take the cream out of fridge right when you are ready to make the icing. Beat the cream with strawberry sauce and sugar high speed until soft peak forms. Pipe into the cone and keep in fridge until ready to ice the cupcakes.
For Lacy Chocolate Hearts
½ cup semi-sweet baking chocolate chips
Melt the chocolate chips using double boiler method. Once it cools a bit, spoon into the re-sealable cone and make a small hole on the tip. Spread parchment paper on a baking sheet and pipe chocolate into hearts, filling in with squiggles (be sure squiggles are at least 1/4 inch thick so hearts won't break when removed).
Freeze hearts until set, about 15 minutes. Remove hearts using an offset spatula right when you are ready to garnish.
Please your Valentine and your kids :))