Aloha People! Yes, you guessed it right....I am back from 8 days of vacation in Hawaii. We went to Maui and it was amazing! Time just flew by, we so wanted to stay longer :). I did get myself some treats including best in the world Hawaiian Pineapple. They have the sweetest pineapples in the whole world. We couldn't get enough.
I decided to use some of the pineapple and make salsa with it along with veggie tacos. Both salsa and tacos turned out super-delicious. They are quick and easy to prepare and makes a fabulous lunch.
This salsa is perfectly seasoned with spices, lemon juice, pineapple's sweetness and hint of cumin. So get in to your Hawaiian mood and prepare this colorful, delicious salsa and enjoy it with chips, tacos, burritos or any of your favorite entree.
Here is the recipe for you all (Click here for printable version)
Ingredients & Method:
For Hawaiian Pineapple Salsa
1/2 cup chopped & seeded tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 jalapeno pepper chopped
1 serrano pepper chopped
1 tsp cumin powder (cumin roasted & grounded)
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1-1.5 tsp lemon juice
salt- to taste
red chilli powder (optional)- to taste (we like our salsa little hot )
1. In a bowl, just add all the ingredients mentioned above and give it a mix. Check the seasoning and adjust.
Didn't I say, its super-easy? :)
For Veggie Tacos
Tacos- (whichever u like, corn/flour/whole grain)
1/2 cup sliced long onions
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup kidney beans (pressure cooked until soft)
chopped lettuce leaves ( depends on how much you like)
sour cream (about 1 tbsp per taco)
guacamole (about 1 tbsp per taco- Please see the recipe HERE)
1/2 mexican four cheese shredded
1 tbsp + 1 tsp oil
Salsa [ which we made today :) ]
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and stir fry onions and bell pepper lightly. Keep aside.
2. Remove kidney beans from the water it was boiled in and lightly season them with salt and black pepper.
Let's assemble the tacos now:
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and warm each taco lightly from both sides by holding each with a tong.
2. Add kidney beans on the center of the taco, sprinkle some cheese, add lettuce, onions & bell pepper, sour cream, guacamole. [don't stuff it too much, or else you won't be able to eat without getting that sour cream on your face :)]
3. Top it off with the delicious pineapple salsa we just made and dig in.