A big hello to all my blogger friends and readers. I am back to blogging today after a month and it feels so good to be back. Last month was lot of fun with my in-laws. We took them to Niagara Falls and Finger Lakes in NY. It was a fun vacation.
My come-back post had to be with a "sweet" recipe. I had some applesauce sitting in my refrigerator from God knows when. I finally decided that I should empty some space in my fridge and use this applesauce. I went online and read some different recipes from many different sites. I finally decided to bake a spiced applesauce cake. I used the pumpkin spice ( the one we use in pumpkin pie), added some cinnamon, walnuts and raisins. Cake turned out moist and super delicious.
I couldn't help but eat a warm slice with ice-cream even before I was finished taking the pictures. I was taking the pics and I just couldn't help myself. Kept the camera aside, ate a huge slice and then resumed my picture taking session.
This cake was super easy to make. Just dumped all the ingredients together, mix and bake. Seriously!!
Here, let me share the recipe with you. (Click here for printable version)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
2 cups (16oz) of applesauce
1 cup walnuts
3/4 cup raisins
1 tsp pumpkin spice OR all ground spice (whichever you prefer)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degree F and keep a 9" inch square pan ready by greasing and dusting some flour on it.
2. Take all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry and add applesauce,melted butter, walnuts and raisins. Mix well, making a smooth batter.
4. Pour the batter into the greased baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes before inverting it on the cooling rack.
Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and enjoy the warm cake with ice-cream or as is with your favorite coffee or tea. A perfect evening snack cake.