It may take a little while to get hang of rolling gnocchi, but once you roll a few, you will be an expert in no time. I will take you through the process of making gnocchi with pictures of each step.
1 lb potatoes ( I used gold skinned potatoes)
1 and 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 large egg
1 pinch salt
1. In a large pan, boil the potatoes until they are soft and tender all the way. While still warm, peel the skin off the potatoes and mash using fork or potato masher.
2. Make a well in center of potatoes and sprinkle all over with 1 cup of flour. Place egg and salt as well in the center and mix using a fork. Once egg is mixed in, bring dough together, kneading gently. Use extra flour as needed. The ball should be soft but dry to touch.
3. Divide the dough into 8 balls and roll each 1/8th of the ball into the snake shaped log and cut every 3/4th inch using a knife. Dust with a bit more flour.
4. Using the back side of the fork, roll the gnocchi in and down the length of the fork. The gnocchi should curl slightly into a "C" shape and their backs will capture the impression of the tines. This process can take a little while to get hang of so don't get discouraged and keep rolling.
5. Repeat step 4 until you have rolled all the dough.
6. Boil the prepared gnocchi for 2-3 minutes in little salted water. As soon as gnocchi starts floating on top of the water, take it out with a slotted spoon.
Toss it with your favorite sauce and seasonings & serve!