My father-in-law loves these sweet saffron rice and he was asking to make these for such a long time. Somehow whenever I went to Indian store, I forgot to buy the dry coconut which definitely is an important and delicious addition for these rice. This time I made sure I get the dry coconut and make these sweet rice for dad.
These rice are lightly sweetened and full of aromatic spices. Bright yellow color of rice makes them look absolutely stunning. All of us at home enjoyed eating these sweet rice. They are not too much of a work as well. Pretty easy and quick to make.
Oh MY!!My husband's hands are famous :D
Here is the recipe for these delicious Sweet Saffron Rice (Click here for printable version)
1 1/2 cup white rice (washed and soaked for 15-20 min)
3 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dry coconut (chopped into thin slices)
2 tbsp golden raisins (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes)
2 tbsp almonds (soaked, blanched and chopped)
some saffron strands
3-4 green cardamom
3-4 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon (broken in half)
a pinch of yellow food color
1 tbsp ghee or butter
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1. Cook rice in a rice cooker with 3 cups of water until almost cooked. Remove the extra left water.
2. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee or butter, add cinnamon stick, saffron strands, cloves, green cardamom, almonds, coconut and raisins. Give a quick stir and add sugar.
3. Then add the rice and mix everything with light hands. Add a pinch of food color and mix again so that rice get nicely coated with the food color.
4. Let rice cook with sugar for 5-7 minutes on low heat until almost dry. Keep stirring in between to prevent burning.
5. Switch off the gas and add cardamom powder and mix.
Make sure you serve these warm. Enjoy the gorgeous yellow sweet rice.