One of the easiest and super tasty stir-fry. Cabbage and peas goes so well with each other. You can even add potatoes if you want. But I like it more just with peas. Takes about 15-20 min only and your dinner is set. We love to have this dry stir-fry with homemade roti (Indian bread) along with yogurt on the side.
Here is the recipe (Click here for printable version)
1 cabbage head (outer leaf removed and rest shredded thinly)
1 cup green peas
2 green chillies (chopped)
1 tbsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp vegetable oil
a pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander powder
salt and red chilli powder- to taste
1. Wash the shredded cabbage thoroughly and let the water drain.
1. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a wok/deep pan. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds. As cumin seeds change color a bit, add the ginger and green chillies.
2. Add all the dry spices to the oil and let it simmer for 1 minute.
3. Add the cabbage and peas and mix nicely.
4. Bring the gas flame to medium low, cover the pan partially and let the cabbage and peas cook until tender, well cooked and dry. There shouldn't be any water in the stir-fry. This should not take more than 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
See, 4 easy steps and what we are left with? A delicious, spicy, dry stir-fry. Enjoy with roti, naan or bread.
PS:You can use the left over stir-fry to fill between 2 slices of bread, add some chopped onions, your favorite sauce and a nice filling sandwich is ready.