I made lasagna after a long time today. It is one of my favorite Italian dish and unfortunately we don't get veggie lasagna in any restaurants around here. They usually serve the non-veg version. I had an eggplant in my refrigerator so I decided to make roll-up eggplant lasagna for lunch and along with that I baked some Herb Italian bread; which is going to rule my next post :)
Coming back to lasagna, along with eggplant slices, I added some saute'd onions and some shredded jalapeño jack cheese. Lasagna tasted awesome and we both enjoyed our lunch.Finished more than half of the dish I baked! :)
This recipe serves 2-3 people. (Click here for printable version)
8 lasagna noodles (boiled per instruction on the package and strained)
1 small eggplant
2 cups shredded cheese; divided (I used jalapeño jack, you can use any other per your choice)
1 large onion (sliced thin and long)
1 jar spicy marinara sauce ( 24 oz jar or you can make your own sauce; I didn't have time in hand)
1 tsp red crushed pepper (or per taste)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic salt
regular salt - for sprinkling on eggplant
black pepper- for sprinkling on eggplant
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Peel eggplant. Place the eggplant upright on the cutting board and slice the eggplant in long thin vertical slices. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper on eggplant.
2. Heat one tbsp of olive oil in a pan and fry the eggplant slices lightly from both sides. Keep aside.
3. Now heat rest of 1 tbsp of olive oil and put onions in it. Stir-fry until translucent. Add some garlic salt, red crushed pepper, Italian seasoning, dried basil and oregano and mix well. Take onions off gas.
4. Heat the marinara sauce in a pan and adjust the spices per your taste. Now layer the baking dish with 1 cup of sauce in the bottom.
5. Now taking one strip of pasta at a time, start layering it with 2 slices of eggplant, then onions and top it off with some cheese. Start rolling pasta starting from one end and go till end. Put it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat this process until all the pasta sheets are finished.
6. Cover the pasta completely with the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle rest 1 cup of the cheese on top of it.
7. Bake at 400 degree F in a pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes.
Serve with your favorite salad or my favorite Herb Italian Bread (recipe coming soon!) :)