Paneer...An all time favorite at my house specially with my husband! He can have paneer any time any day. Paneer and bell peppers are cooked in a kadhai in a creamy onion tomato gravy and added are dry powdered fenugreek leaves that gives it a distinct nice flavor.
This is very easy to prepare and is a perfect entree to go with Butter Naan, Poori's or Parantha's. If you too are a paneer lover, you must try this gravy and trust me, this one is a stealer!
Here is the recipe (Click here for printable version)
2 cups cubed paneer
2 medium bell pepper (washed and cut into thin long strips)
1 large onion ( chopped into big pieces)
3 tomatoes (chopped into big pieces)
1 tbsp chopped ginger
2 large green chillies
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp red chilli powder (or per taste)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Asafoetida- a pinch
Salt- to taste
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp dry powdered fenugreek leaves
1. Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Then add the ginger, green chillies and onions. Saute it until onions turn translucent. Then add the tomatoes and saute it until they become a little tender. Turn off the gas and let it cool for a while.
2. Once the mixture cools, add it to the blender and mash it into a puree.
3. Now heat the remaining 1 tbsp of ghee in the pan and add asafoetida. Then add the cumin seeds and as they start to change color, add the strips of bell pepper.
4. Saute the bell pepper and as they start to turn tender (not mushy), add the pureed mixture. Let the mixture cook while stirring in between till it starts to become a little dry.
5. Then add all the dry spices and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water and let it cook until the water is soaked up and the mixture starts to leave oil from the sides.
6. Add the 1/2 cup of milk and stir it for 2 minutes. Then add the paneer cubes and let it cook on medium low heat. You can add more water if required. (depends on the thickness of gravy you like)
7. When the paneer is almost done ( about 5-7 minutes), add the fenugreek leaves and let it cook for 1 more minute.
8. Serve hot with your favorite bread. (Don't forget to garnish with coriander leaves....like i forgot :P )