I decided to give a try to Lachha Tokri today (layered basket) made of Potatoes and filled with Aloo Papdi Chaat; it came out soooooo delicious! Lachha Tokri Chaat is one of the famous chaat in Delhi and no one can beat the one you get from Bikanervala.
Papdi Chaat is an Indian fast food made from crispy wafers, potatoes, boiled peas, seasoned yogurt and sauces. These chaat filled crispy layered potato baskets are a perfect evening snack and are quite easy to make.
I am going to write here the recipe to make Lachha Tokri ( layered potato basket). I posted the recipe of Aloo Papdi Chaat ((Delicious filling) sometime back ; you can find the recipe HERE.
Click here for printable version.
Ingredients (to make the bowl)
2 medium sized potatoes
2 tbsp corn starch
2 metal tea strainers
Oil for frying
1. Peel the potatoes and grate thickly. Squeeze out the water from the grated potatoes.
2. Add the corn starch and mix it well in the potatoes.
3. Divide the potatoes in 5 equal portions.
4. Place one portion in a tea strainer (channi) and spread on all sides of the strainer.
5. Press on top with another strainer and if you have any metal string, tie them together from the handles.
6. Holding the strainers and pressing firmly deep-fry in hot oil, over a medium heat till the potato basket is golden brown. The strainers (channis) should be dipped completely and properly in oil.
7. Remove the strainers from the oil & tap the strainers softly to unmould the basket.
8. Repeat the steps to make all the baskets. Keep aside.
|Ready Potato Baskets!|
Now use the potato baskets as the bowls and fill it with the delicious potato, yogurt stuffing with chutneys. ( Follow the recipe of stuffing from here)
Enjoy eating the Chaat and the Crunchy Delicious Bowl!
Sending these Gorgeous Edible Chaat Baskets to Foodelicious "Only Chaat" Event!