Friday, August 6, 2010
Quick Vermicelli Upma
Before I start with today's recipe, I would like to thanks Mina of Authentic Vegetarian Recipes to pass on the The Versatile Blogger Award to me. You can see the award on right hand sidebar. I cherish all the appreciation, awards, love and your thoughts. I feel honored to be a part of this huge blogger community; learn new ways of cooking, recipes etc from all of you and I will continue to do my bit with your support.
I believe each one of you are worthy of this award. Please feel free to collect this award and display it on your page.
Now coming to today recipe. Vermicelli (Sevai) is a type of pasta that is thinner than spaghetti and is easily found in Indian as well as other Asian Grocery Stores. Vermicelli can be made in various ways. It is very often made as a Milk Dessert called Seviyan Kheer or Payasam. It is also made savory differently in different parts of the world. I make this quick Savory Snack and its called Vermicelli Upma. It is very easy to make and can be prepared in less than 10-15 minutes.
Today my husband called from work and told me that he is just leaving and will be home in 10 minutes. I knew he would be hungry by the time he gets home as he had early lunch. I immediately started preparing the Vermicelli Upma on one side of the burner and had Tea started on the other side. By the time my DH reached home, Hot Tea and Snack was ready to welcome his hungry stomach. :)
Here is the recipe for you (Click here for printable version)
1 Small Onion (Chopped thin and long)
1/4 Cup Green Peas
1 Medium Potato (Washed thoroughly and cut into small square pieces with skin-on)
2-3 Green Chillies (Chopped)
Few Curry Leaves
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
Salt - To Taste
Red Chilli Powder- 1/2 Tsp
Garam Masala- 1/4 Tsp
3/4 Cup Vermicelli
1/2 Cup Water
2 Tbsp Oil
1. Heat oil in a pan. Once Oil is hot, add Mustard Seeds and Curry leaves. As soon as Mustard leaves starts to sputter; add green chillies. Saute for 10-12 seconds.
2. Add Onions and stir fry until they turn translucent.
3. Now add the Potatoes and the Green Peas. Stir fry until potatoes are tender.
4. Add all the dry spices; i.e- Salt, Red Chilli Powder and Garam Masala and Mix well.
5. Add the Water and let it come to a boil. As soon it comes to a boil, add the Vermicelli and mix well.
6. Cook till all the water is absorbed and vermicelli is well done.
Serve Hot over a Cup of Tea.