Thursday, July 22, 2010
Stuffed Aloo Paneer Buns !!
I have always liked Champa's baking recipes and was meaning to try some bread from her blog and when I saw her recent giveaway event, I thought this is the right time to try one of her awesome breads and submit my entry for the event. So I went through the recipe index on her blog and got hooked to these delicious Potato Buns which she had made. This Karnataka specialty looked and sounded amazing and today with some minor changes I made these buns stuffed with Spicy Aloo (Potatoes) and Paneer (Cottage Cheese) and some Green Peas. Fresh Paneer made at home tasted so good in combination with Potatoes and Peas.
I also halved the recipe and made only 6 buns and but these are good big size buns. Have one bun for lunch and you are good to go for next 3-4 hours. We had these with Tea these evening and they were awesome! Try these out. I am sure you will get hooked to these. There are so many different kind of stuffings that can be done! So get creative and start baking!
Submitting these Stuffed Aloo Paneer Buns to Champa's Bake Off and Giveaway Event.
Here is the recipe (Click here for printable version)
For the Stuffing:
Potatoes - 3 Medium
Crumbled Paneer 1/2 Cup
Green Peas- 1/4 Cup
Oil - 3 TBSP
Green chillies - 3 large (chopped)
Salt - to taste
Red Chilli Powder- 1/2 Tsp
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 Tsp
Roasted Cumin Seeds-1/2 Tsp
Cilantro Leaves- chopped 2 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
For the Bun Dough:
All purpose flour or Bread flour - 1 3/4 cups
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Dry yeast - 1 3/4 tsp
Warm Water- 2 Tbsp
Luke Warm Milk - 1/2 Cup
Oil - 2 Tbsp
Sugar - 1 Tbsp
For Brushing the bun before baking:
1/2 Tbsp of milk + 1/2 tbsp oil
To prepare stuffing:
1.Boil potatoes. Peel and mash them using a masher.
2.In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
3.When seeds start to splutter,add green chillies and curry leaves.Saute for about 10 seconds.
4.Now, add green peas. Saute them for about 2 min.
5.Then add the mashed potatoes and crumbled paneer.Saute for a couple of minutes again.
6. Add all the dry spices now and mix really well.
7.Garnish with cilantro and in a 2-3 minutes turn off the heat. Let it come to room temperature.
To prepare Buns:
1. In a large bowl, take 2 Tbsp of warm water and dissolve sugar and yeast in it. Let it froth for about 10 minutes.
2. Then add the salt and oil.
3. Add flour little by little to make a smooth dough. Knead it well for 10 minutes. (If using stand mixer, add everything to the bowl of stand mixture,
attach dough hook and let the mixer knead the dough till it is smooth and elastic)
4. Coat with a little bit oil all over the dough and cover and let it rise for about 45 minutes to an hour or till double in volume.
5. After the rise, punch down the dough really well.
6. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 6 portions and shape them into ball. (You can make more of smaller buns).
7. Let it rest covered for 10 minutes.
8. Now take the dough ball in your left hand (if you are a right handed person) and pat it to a circle of about 4 - 5 " diameter. Take enough stuffing in your other hand and place in the center of the dough circle. Pull all the sides up together to join in the center. Pinch the edges and roll it slightly in your palm to make it smooth. Place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet Repeat with all the dough.
9.Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 30 - 45 minutes.
10.Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush the top of the buns with oil and milk mixture.Bake the buns in the oven for 20-25 minutes or more if the buns are of bigger size.
When out of oven, brush the tops with little butter (if desired). Enjoy these buns warm. You can keep the extra buns in the fridge and heat in the oven the next day and enjoy!