I am sure I have talked enough of Bottlegourd and its curative properties in my earlier two Bottlegourd recipes- One of which is a sweet dish - Doodhi Halwa (Sweet Bottlegourd Pudding) and the second one is Bottle Gourd Kofta Curry. So I am not going to go into those details once again and directly jump to my post for today which is a simple, easy to make and delicious curry to enjoy with Roti, Parantha and even rice.
I make this curry quite often and its one of my favorite. My mother always used to make all the green vegetables and she made sure that we grow up eating fresh and healthy veggies and fruits.
1. First of all, add the onions, tomatoes, ginger and green chillies to your food processor or chopper and chop them together coarsely.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pan (if you dont have pressure cooker)
3. Once oil is hot, add Asafoetida and Cumin Seeds. Once cumin seeds change slightly brown, add the chopped onion tomato mixture.
4. Stir-fry the mixture until it starts to leave the oil from the sides.
5. Now add all the dry spices- Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder and Garam Masala.
6. Mix well and add 2 tbsp of water incase Mixture is getting too dry and stir-fry for 5-7 more minutes. Again it should start to leave oil from the sides.
7. Now add the chopped Bottlegourd and give it a nice mix.
8. Add water (3/4 cup to 1 Cup- depending on how much bottlegourd you have). Keep in mind bottlegourd leaves its own water/juice while cooking so you don't have to add too much of water. Just enough that all the bottlegourd gets soaked in it.
9. Now if you using pressure cooker; Close the lid and whistle and let it cook for 10 minutes. If you cooking using a pan, cover the pan with a lid and cook until its tender, nicely done and has a little thick gravy.
Garnish with Coriander leaves and Serve Hot with your favorite Bread or Rice!