First of all, Thanks to Chaitra of Athidhyam for choosing my Little Eggless Chocolate Delights as a winner for the Bread Mania Event. I received a $40 Gift card for the CSN Stores. It was right in time for me as my Blender broke and I used this $40 gift card to buy a new blender. :)
Now is time for a new recipe. This has been sitting on my laptop for 2 weeks now. I just haven't had the time to post any new recipe off late. But I am gonna try to be more regular.
First of all some info on Doodhi/Lauki/Bottlegourd -- Doodhi (Bottlegourd)) is a yellowish green vegetable, having the shape of a bottle. It has white pulp, with white seeds embedded in spongy flesh. BottleGourd is not only delicious and can be prepared in various ways as in curry and sweets but it also has lots of natural benefits and curative properties.
Here are a few examples:-
- Urinary Disorders :- Bottle gourd is very valuable in urinary disorders. A glassful of fresh juice prepared by grating the whole fruit should he mixed with teaspoonful of lime juice. It should be given once daily in the treatment of burning sensation in urinary passage due to high acidity of urine. It serves as an alkaline mixture. It should be given with sulpha drugs in the treatment of urinal infection. It acts as an alkaline diuretic in this condition.
- Excessive Thirst :- The juice of bottle gourd is a valuable medicine for excessive thirst due to severe diarrhea, diabetes and excessive use of fatty or fried foods. A glassful of plain juice with a pinch of salt should be taken everyday in this condition. Its use during summer prevents excessive loss of sodium, quenches thirst and helps in preventing fatigue.
- Insomnia :- This mixture of bottle gourd juice and sesame oil acts as an effective medicine for insomnia. It should be massaged over scalp every night. The cooked leaves of bottle gourd are also beneficial in the treatment of insomnia.
Now lets get to the recipe. 2 weeks ago I came down from my bedroom and saw my sister in the kitchen preparing something. I went to her and saw that she was making Dudhi Halwa. She found one small sized Dudhi in the refrigerator and thought of putting it to use. The Halwa came out delicious! I immediately took pictures for the recipe.
So here is my Sister's Delicious Doodhi Halwa Recipe (Click here for printable recipe)
2 Cups Peeled, Washed and Grated Doodhi
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Milk
4 Tbsp of Ghee
1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
1. Heat Ghee in a pan and add Dudhi to it.
2. Keep stirring on a medium low flame until the Doodhi starts to change color slightly and delivers a sweet aroma.
3. Add Milk and Sugar at this point. Let it cook at medium low heat while stirring until all the milk is absorbed and the Halwa starts to leave ghee from the sides
4. Switch off the gas and add Cardamom powder at this point. Mix well.
5. Garnish with Almonds and Serve Warm.