Monday, June 7, 2010
Spicy Taro Fries!
Who doesn't love French Fries? Everyone Does! Even though they are deep fried and loaded with fat :). But one does get conscious of the fat intake. Right?
This time let's try something that's healthy and equally delicious (even more) if you like spicy and crispy!We are going to make some Taro Root Fries!
Taro Root is a starchy, potato-like tuber with a brown, fibrous skin and gray-white (sometimes purple-tinged) flesh.It is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber. These Fries are not deep-fried, instead they are cooked in a Flat Bottomed Skillet with little bit of oil till they are crispy.
You can enjoy these delicious fries either as a side dish with any Entree, or as a Snack with Cocktails & Mock-tails.
Here is the recipe (Click here for printable recipe)
7-8 Taro Roots ( Peeled, Washed and Chop into Thin Strips like we do for french fries)
1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
Salt and Red Chilli Powder- To Taste
3 Tbsp- Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp Chaat Masala
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1. In a flat bottomed pan, heat the oil.
2. Add the cumin seeds. Once they start to change the color, add all the dry spices except Chaat Masala.Stir for 15 seconds.
3. Add the Chopped Taro Root. Mix well so that all the spices gets coated on Taro Root nicely.
4. Cover and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring in between. Then cook uncovered until they are well cooked and crispy.
5. Switch off the Gas and Sprinkle Chaat Masala.
6. Add Lemon Juice on top right before serving. Garnish as you like.
Enjoy the Healthy Delicious Treat!