Friday, April 30, 2010
Zucchini with Zest of Kasturi Methi
I had thought of growing Zucchini at my home garden this year as it one of the easiest to grow fruit. I don't know why I didn't get the plant of Zucchini when I went to the nursery. Anyways, its not late....I can still plant them. I already have planted Tomatoes, Green Chillies, Mint, Basil, Green Bell Pepper and Watermelon. Also we got Apple Tree planted in our backyard and it already has started bearing fruit. I can see small little apples growing and I am so excited to see them grow to Red Delicious Apples.
Its so nice to watch you small little plants grow large and bear flowers, fruits and veggies. Fresh home grown organic veggies and fruits always taste better. Last year I had grown Okra, Chillies and Tomatoes and I can't tell you how much of Okra we harvested. Not only we ate, we also made bags and gave to our friends and family as there was plenty of Okra growing every week.
Anyways, Let me move back to the recipe here as I can go on and on about my little garden :)
I made this spicy delicious Semi-Dry Curry of Zucchini with Kasturi Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves) and it turned out awesome.Sending this to Indrani's Summer Food and Drinks Event.
Here is the simple recipe (Click here for printable recipe)
4-5 Medium Sized Zucchinis ( Peeled, Washed and Chopped)
2 Tbsp Kasturi Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves)
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
2 Green Chillies (Chopped)
1/2 Tsp Chopped Ginger
1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
Salt- To Taste
Red Chilli Powder- To Taste
2 Tsp- Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp Yogurt
1. In a bowl, add Chopped Zucchini and add Red Chilli Powder (per your taste) and Lemon Juice. Mix well and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
2. Heat Oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to it. Once they start to sizzle and change color, add ginger and green chillies. Stir for 15-20 seconds.
3. Add Tomatoes and stir for till they are a little tender. Not mushy.
4. Add in the Zucchini that we kept aside. Add in Salt and all the dry spices and mix well.
5. Let the Zucchini cook on medium heat while stirring in between until its starts to get tender.
6. Then add the Yogurt, mix well and let it cook more until the Zucchini is well done. Not mushy again.
7. Add the Kasturi Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) in the end, mix nicely and cook for 2 more minutes.
SERVE HOT WITH PARANTHAS OR CHAPATTIS.