Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Healthy Vegetable Poha (Rice Flakes)
Poha with vegetables is a one pot meal which you can enjoy with a hot cup of tea and some ketchup.
This dish directly goes to Indrani's Summer Food and Drinks Spotlight Theme
Let me introduce you to this simple recipe (Click here for printable recipe)
1 Cup Thick Poha
1 Onion (Chopped Long and thin)
1 Cup Mixed Vegetables ( I used Green Peas, Beans, Carrots, Corn )
[You can add Potatoes too. I wanted to make this as healthy as possible and hence avoided potatoes as they are starchy and contains more carbohydrates]
4-5 Whole Dry Red Chillies
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
2 Green Chillies (Chopped)
2 Bay leaves
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt and Red Chilli Powder - To Taste
1. Heat Oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. As they start to splatter, add the bay leaves, red dry chillies and chopped green chillies. Stir fry for 15-20 seconds.
2. Add in the onions and fry until they become translucent.
3. Add the vegetables and stir fry until they are tender.
4. Stir in the dry spices and mix well.
5. In a strainer add the Poha and wash it in running water for 30 seconds.
6. Add the washed Poha to the vegetables and mix well. Cook for another 2 min and switch off the gas.
7. Add the lemon juice in the end and mix nicely.
SERVE HOT with Tomato Ketchup or Chutney along with Hot Tea.