Puffed Chick Peas) is an Indian Snack that is available in both Salty (Khara) and Sweet version.
Sweet version is often used to make ladoos. Salty (Khara) version is used to make Raita, Curry or can be eaten just like that as a snack with tea.
I make Boondi Curry when I am in a hurry and want to make something quick & also when I am out of veggies at home :). Small pieces of ginger and green chillies makes this sabzi delicious!
Here is the simple recipe for a Quickie delicious Curry (Click here for Printable version)
1 Large Tomato - Chopped
2 Green Chillies- Chopped
1 Tsp- Finely Chopped Ginger
1/2 Tsp- Cumin Seeds
1/2 Tsp- Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp- Coriander Powder
1/4 Tsp- Garam Masala
Salt and Red Chilli Powder- To Taste
2 Tbsp- Oil
3/4 Cup Boondi ( Puffed Chick Peas)
2 Cups Water
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add Cumin Seeds. Once Cumin Seeds change color, add ginger and green chillies. Stir for 15-20 seconds.
2. Add Tomatoes. Let them cook until tender, keep stirring in between.
3. Add all the spices ( Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder) and mix well. Let the mixture cook for 2-3 more minutes. If its too dry, add a tbsp of water to it.
4. Once the mixture starts leaving oil from the sides, add 2 Cups of Water.
5. Let the water come to a boil. Add the Boondi (Puffed Chick Peas) and mix.
6. Let it cook covered for 5 minutes.
7. Remove the lid and cook on medium flame until Boondi soaks water and the gravy becomes a little thick.
8. Garnish with Coriander leaves
SERVE HOT with Chappatis or Parantha.