Madeleines. When I opened my refrigerator I saw these 2 tubs of Yogurt which were not even used yet. So I thought of putting some to use. I started getting together all the ingredients and baked a regular Yogurt Cake.
When the cake was baked, I opened the refrigerator to take out something else & I saw a plum jam sitting in my refrigerator which again wasn't used much. Then came the idea of making a filling to the cake with this plum jam. Once the filling was done, I covered the cake in Vanilla frosting. (again unplanned). Once this was done, I was putting my madeleines in a air tight container and while I was doing this, I saw my husband eating orange. Thought; How about I put some oranges on the cake and some grapes too?? :)
So....this is how my cake was dressed up.
Cake turned out to be delicious but a little extra sweet. If I would have planned on doing all this, I would have put a little less sugar in the cake initially. But Sometimes doing unplanned things gives a different kind of happiness :)
Here is a closer look on the texture of this soft delicious cake:
1 cup Yogurt
1 cup All Purpose Flour
2/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Sugar ( If you don't plan to add filling and frosting, put 3/4 Cup and 2 tbsp of Sugar)
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Lemon Extract
1 Tbsp Rum Imitation Extract
1 Pinch of Salt
Plum Jam- For Filling
Vanilla Frosting- I used the store bought frosting
1 Orange and few grapes for dressing
Baking the Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees. Grease the sides of a 8 inch round cake pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt and the sugar. Add the oil, lemon and rum extract and whisk again.
3. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture and whisk until just combined.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Transfer the pan into a cooling rack and let stand for a few minutes.
Filling with Plum Jam and Dressing
1. Once the cake is cooled completely, put it in the refrigerator for about half and hour. This helps in cutting the cake nicely later.
2. Put the cake in a flat surface and slice it in two nicely with a sharp knife. This will give you 2 rounds.
3. Spread the plum jam evenly on 1 half and then put the other half back on it. Jam will hold the cake together.
4. Use your favorite frosting and spread it on the cake top and sides evenly. Decorate it using the orange slices and grapes. ( slit the grapes in half and put it on the cake).
Enjoy the Cake!