Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Bharvan Bhindi Masala ...
It's an all season vegetable and its easy to even grow in your kitchen garden. I planted Okra last year in summer in a large pot and it flourished very well. It used to give us atleast 1/2 kg of okra/bhindi every week.
Okra/Bhindi is made several different ways.This is one of the simplest way and tastes delicious.
This recipe serves 2 people for main course.
Okra- 1/2 kg
Onion-1 small (sliced long and thin)
Salt- To taste
Red Chilli Powder- To taste
Amchur (Mango Powder)- 1 tbsp
Garam Masala- 1 Tsp
Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
Oil- 2 Tbsp
1. Mix all the dry spices together in a small bowl.
2. Wash the okra/bhindi well and let it dry.Cut and separate the heads and lower tips of Okra.
3. In a separate bowl, put the cut onions. Add little salt, red chilli powder and lemon juice to it and mix well.
Keep it aside for later use.
4. Getting back to Okra now. Put a vertical slit in each Bhindi/Okra.
5. With a small spoon or hand put some masala into each Bhindi/Okra. (Like in the pic below)
6. Stir fry it on a medium low flame until it starts getting tender.
7. When Bhindi/Okra is about to be done, add the onions that we kept aside and mix well.
8. Let it fry for few more minutes, stirring in between.
Serve Hot with Chapattis or Paranthas.