Thursday, January 28, 2010
Nimbu ka Khatta Achaar ( Lemon Pickle)-- Mom's Recipe
Every time I would go to India or my mom comes here, I would have her make some homemade pickles. Last time I went to India was in December 2008 for my own wedding and ofcourse couldn't even think of taking the risk of getting oiled pickles along with my all new clothes.
A couple of months ago we went to Houston to see our cousin and also went to a Gurudwara (Temple). When we came out of there, I saw this tree outside in the yard full of huge sized lemons. I couldn't control myself. I love picking fruits and vegetables from the trees. So I grabbed some 4-5 lemons. These lemons were as big as grapefruit.
I called my mom and asked her the recipe to make Lemon Pickle. To my surprise, it was an easy job with a surety of delicious outcome :)
Here I am sharing my mom's secret recipe with all the pickle lovers out there:
1 Kg Lemon
50 gm Ajwain
50 gm Garam Masala
100 gm Regular Salt
100 gm Black Salt (Kala Namak)
250 gm Sugar
1. Cut all the lemons leaving 2 lemons aside for later use. You can cut them to any size you want
2. Take a mixing bowl and put all the cut lemons into that.
3. Now add all the masala into the lemons and mix well using a laddle.
4. Take a dry jar (preferably glass jar) and put all the masala mixed lemons into the jar using a laddle.
5. Now squeeze the juice of 2 lemons that we kept aside into the jar and mix well.
6. Keep the jar out in the sun during daytime everyday for 6-8 days. Also make sure you give a mix to the pickle everyday by shaking the jar.
7. Once lemons starts getting tender; you can start eating the pickle.
- Never insert a wet spoon or laddle into the pickle. It makes pickle go bad.