black eyed beans/peas when I was a kid. :). Who bothered at that time about the proper names of the legumes or peas or vegetables. Kids make up their own names of the things they like. Also, I used to call "Chane ki daal" as "ghode wali daal" .....as I had seen horses eating those....LOL
Anyways, coming back to Black Eyed Beans. Black Eyed Bean/pea also called Lobia/Raungi/ChawaLie are an excellent source of calcium, folate and vitaminA.
We usually eat them with Rice and Roti (bread). You don't need to soak them overnight before cooking and they don't take much time to get cooked and they are delicious to eat.
Here is my simple recipe for the same.
1. Black Eyed Peas- 1 Cup
2. Onion- 1 Small (finely chopped)
3. Tomatoes- 2 Medium (finely chopped)
4. Ginger Chopped/Paste- 1 Tsp
5. Green Chillies- 2
6. Turmeric Powder- 1 Tsp
7. Garam Masala- 1/2 Tsp
8. Coriander Powder- 1 Tsp
9. Mango Powder (Amchur)- 1 Tsp
10. Salt and Red Chilli Powder- To Taste
11. Water- 3 Cups
12. Vegetable Oil- 2 Tbsp
13. Cumin Seeds- 1 Tsp
1. Wash black eyes beans in running water well.
2. In a pressure cooker, add the 3 cups of water with black eyed beans. Add Salt and Turmeric Powder to it and close the lid and let it pressure cook for 15-20 minutes.
3. Let us prepare the Tadka meanwhile. Heat the oil in a pan and add Cumin Seeds to it.
4. Once Cumin seeds turn little brown, add the green chillies and ginger. Stir it for a few seconds and add onions. Fry till golden brown.
5. Add the tomatoes and fry till tomatoes are tender. Add all the spices now and mix it well.
6. Let the masala cook till the oil separates from the masala/mixture from the sides.
7. Turn off the gas now and add this prepared masala to the boiled beans and mix well.
8. Turn on the gas under the cooker again and let it cook on medium low flame for 10 minutes. ( You don't need to close the lid. Let is cook without the lid)
9. Serve Hot with Rice or Roti.
Adding this to MLLA-19th Helping Event by Susan.