Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Madeleines-- Cookie or Petite Cakes?
This time I decided to make this heavenly small cakes/cookies a try at home. So I started to look for the recipe and got a perfect one at JoyofBaking. Putting this recipe out here for you to follow.
Try them out and I bet you will love them. Very Easy and Quick to Make.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Note: If you make miniature madeleines, reduce the baking time to about 5-7 minutes.
1. First, melt the butter and allow it to cool while you make the batter.
2. In a small bowl place the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until well blended.
3. In the bowl beat the eggs and sugar at medium-high speed until the mixture has tripled in volume and forms a thick ribbon when the beaters are lifted (about 5 minutes). Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine.
4. Sift a small amount of flour over the egg mixture and, using a spatula, fold the flour mixture into the beaten eggs to lighten it. Sift the rest of the flour over the egg mixture and fold in being sure not to overmix or the batter will deflate.
5. Whisk a small amount of the egg mixture into the melted butter to lighten it. Then fold in the cooled melted butter in three additions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until slightly firm.
6. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease the madeleines pans. (Make sure the pans are well greased or the madeleines will stick and be hard to remove.)
7. Drop a generous tablespoonful of the batter into the center of each prepared mold, leaving the batter mounded in the center. (This will result in the classic "humped" appearance of the madeleines.)
8. Bake the madeleines for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the centers spring back when lightly touched. Do not overbake these cookies or they will be dry.
PS: You can buy the Madeleines pan at Amazon or Bed Bath and Beyond.
Adding this to Cake and Cookies Event.