Friday, December 4, 2009
Arbi ki Sabzi/Taro Root Vegetable
It is a starchy, potato-like tuber with a brown, fibrous skin and gray-white (sometimes purple-tinged) flesh and looks like this-
Well to inspire you to cook and eat Taro Root, Here are some nutrition facts:
It is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber.
Not to forget, very easy to cook and delicious too :)
Here is the recipe:
5-6 pieces of Taro Root- Boiled, Peeled and sliced in small cubes
1 small onion- finely chopped
2 Tomatoes- finely chopped
2-3 Green chillies- Chopped
1 Tsp- Ginger Paste
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tsp- Coriander Powder
1 Tsp- Turmeric Powder
1/4th Tsp- Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Chaat Masala
Red Chilli Powder- To taste
Salt- To taste
Water- 3/4th cup
1 Tbsp- Oil
Coriander leaves- To Garnish
1. Toss the sliced Arbi/Taro root in 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice and 1 Tsp of Chaat Masala and keep it aside.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds and let them turn light brown
3. Put in Green Chillies and Onion. Fry till golden brown
4. Add in the Ginger Paste. Fry for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and let it cook until tomatoes turn tender. Keep stiring
5. Add in all the spices. Mix well and cook till the oil separates from the Masala
6. Add Yogurt and mix well. Let it cook for 1 minute
7. Now add the Taro root/Arbi that we kept aside and mix well
8. Pour in 1/2 a cup of water, put the flame on low and cook until a thick gravy is formed and Arbi is more tender and soft. Keep stirring in between.
9. Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Serve HOT with Naan, Roti or Parantha! :)