Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Pista Nan Khatai- Melts in your mouth
This is the third time I made “Nan Khatai” and this time it’s perfect. It’s true that practice makes a man/ woman perfect. :)
First time I made them, I had added sooji to them and they tasted a little weird. Second time, they tasted good but they looked like Butter Cookies and not Nan Khatai.
This time they came out perfect! They look like what they are and taste awesome. Crispy but still melts in your mouth. Pistachio adds to the crunch while cardamom enhances the flavor.
Here is the recipe for you to try and Enjoy with Tea or Coffee.
And remember—Bake till u perfect!! :-)
1 cup all purpose flour (Maida)
1/2 cup and 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4th Cup finely chopped Pistachios
A pinch of salt
6-7 tbsp ghee or as required (for kneading the dough)
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder/soda together into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except ghee.
3. Add ghee, a little at a time, while mixing and kneading the dough until you have it to the consistency of almost chapati dough. (A little sticky is fine. It should be pliable enough to be shaped into a ball)
6. Grease/Line a baking sheet/Tray. Divide the dough into 12 portions. Shape those portions into round balls and flatten them a little between your palms.
7. Arrange them on the baking sheet keeping atleast 2-3 inches of distance in between them.
8. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes or until the cookies develop a few 'scars' on top and are slightly browned at the bottom.
9. Take them out of the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet itself.
10. Once cool, store them in an air-tight container.
Hey, Hey!! Save some for next day!! :-)