Well who doesn't like steaming hot, crispy and juicy Jalebis!! For me and my husband we totally love it!
And you can make them at home from scratch! No need of store bought packs anymore!
For the Jalebi
1. Yeast- 1/2 tsp
2. Sugar- 1/2 tsp
3. Warm Water- 1/2 cup
4. Yogurt- 3 Tbsp
5. All purpose Flour/Maida - 1/2 cup
6. Besan/Chick Pea Flour- 1 Tbsp
7. Corn Starch- 1 Tsp
8. Oil to fry Jalebi
1. Water- 1/2 Cup
2. Sugar- 3/4 Cup
3. Saffron- Few Strands
4- Cardamom Powder- 1/2 Tsp
5- Lemon Juice- 1 tsp
1. In a bowl, take Yeast and 1/2 Tsp Sugar and mix it with 1 Tsp of Water. Leave for 5-7 minutes.
2. Add in the Maida, Besan, Corn Starch and Yogurt and mix well. Now add a little water at a time to make a smooth batter. ( You don't have to use all the water...Just enough to make the paste of right consistency)
3. Keep the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour so that the batter gets fermented. Do not Over ferment.
---After 50 minutes have passed - Put the oil in a flat bottomed pan at medium low heat.
---You can now start making syrup on one side while your oil is heating.
4. For the Syrup- Add Water and Sugar in a bowl and give it a boil. Stir it so that sugar dissolves well. Add in the Saffron,Cardamom Powder, Lemon Juice and Stir once. Put the flame to low now and let it simmer.
5. Give a nice mix to batter now and pour it in a funnel or some empty sauce bottle that has funnel. If you don't have any of these, you can use a ziploc bag and cut it from the corner.
6. Check your oil temperate by putting a small drop of batter in the oil. If it comes up right away without changing the color, that means its the right temperature.
Look at this picture-
7. Now start making Jalebi's by putting in the batter in circular pretzel like shape.
8. Fry till golden brown from both sides.
9. Take out and put in the warm syrup for a few seconds.